LIUNA Enrico Henry Mancinelli Professor in Global Labour Issues
School of Labour Studies & Department of Economics
Kenneth Taylor Hall Room 702
Office Hours: by appointment only (email) Hamilton , ON L8S 4M4
- (905) 525-9140 ext. 27293
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FAHc-piPAs (Origins of Labour Day)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnc7LDj5tWk (Labour Day at home and abroad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq8DIpcBB0k (Future of Ford)
Areas of Interest
Areas of Research Interest
- Precarious Employment and Health
- Occupational Health and Safety in Ontario (with Robert Storey)
- Labour and Free Trade in Nineteenth Century Europe: Experiments in Harmonizing Labour Laws
- Work Organization and the Quality of Working Life (with CAW & OFL).
- Hypertension & Work Organization (CAW, IWH, WSIB).
Current Research Projects
- SSHRC-Partnership Grant: Neighbourhood Inequality, Diversity and Change: Trends, Processes, Consequences, and Policy Options for Canada's large Metropolitan areas, 2012-2019, David Hulchinski (PI)
- SSHRC-Partnership Grant: Policy Engagement at Multiple Levels of Governance: A Case Study of the Living Wage and Minimum Wage Policy, 2014-2016, Evans (PI)
- SSHRC CURA program, 'Poverty and Employment Precarity in Southern Ontario' (2010-2015) http://www.socialsciences.mcmaster.ca/pepso
- SSHRC Standard Grant, 'Working without Commitments: Health and Employment' (2009-2012)
- SSHRC CURA program (Development Grant) 'Poverty and Employment Precarity in Southern Ontario' (2009)
- Lupina Foundation, 'Precarious Employment and Women: The Gendered Experience of Employment Strain' (2007)
- Workplace Safety & Insurance Board, 'The Hidden Costs of Precarious Employment' (2005-2006)
- SSHRC, 'Work Organization and Health in the New Economy (2003-2007)
- Auto 21 NCE, 'Workplace Regulation and Health and Safety Outcomes (2003-2004)
- SSHRC, 'Community University Research Alliance on Contingent Work' stream co-leader (2005)
- SSHRC, Community University Research Alliance on Contingent Work (Vosko PI). Work Organization and Health, stream co-leader. (2001-2004)
Team of researchers studying how the organization of precarious work is affected health. The study is extending the Karasek "Job Strain" model to precarious work.
- SSHRC, Social Cohesion Grant on Labour and Globalization (O'Brien PI). Regional Restructuring and its Impact on Labour, stream co-leader. (2001-2004)
With Don Wells we are examining restructuring in the Canadian automobile industry with a special focus on parts suppliers.
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, Social Services: Stress, Violence and Workload Research, (Baines PI) (2000-2002)
Participating in a study of how work reorganization is affecting the health of social service workers.
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, CAW-McMaster Health and Safety Project, (PI), (1999-2002).
- CAW Health and Safety Training Fund, CAW-McMaster Health and Safety Project, (co-PI with David Robertson) (1999-2003)
Large scale project examining the impact of work organization in automobile plants on hypertension and other health outcomes. Participants complete a survey and have their blood pressure taken at work.
- Canadian Labour History
- Canadian Economic History
- Labour Theory
- Economics of Trade Unions
- Work Organization
Department of Economics
- Canadian Economic History
- Directed Research
- Economics of Trade Unions
Labour Studies Programme
- History of the Canadian Labour Movement
- Theories of the Labour Movement
- Trade Unions
- Honours Seminar
- Field Placement Course
Graduate Course Taught
- Work, Workers and their Workplaces (Work & Society Graduate Programme)
Labour Studies Certificate
- Labour and the New Economy
- Canadian Labour History
Academic Service & Community Involvement
- International Advisory Board, Work, Employment and Society Steering Committee, International Research Network of Autoworkers in America.
- Ontario Workers Arts and Heritage Centre, (board member, 1997 - 2010).
- Workers Education Centre, (Board of Directors), 1989 to 1994.
- Social Planning and Research Council Hamilton, (Board of Directors), 1989 to 1994.
- "Bridging the Gap", with Michelynn Lafleche and Sam Vrankulj. D. Baines and S. McBride (eds.) Orchestrating Austerity: Impacts and Resistance, Fernwood Publishing, 2014, pp.106-17.
- "Is Precarious Employment Low Income Employment? The Changing Labour Market in Southern Ontario" with Michelynn Lafleche, Diane Dyson, Luin Goldring, Alan Meisner, Stephanie Procyk, Dan Rosen, John Shields, Peter Viducis and Sam Vrankulj, in Just Labour, 2014.
- "Has There Been a She-covery? The Financial Crisis of 2008 and its Impact on the Ontario Labour Market" in Relations Industrielles/Industrial Relations, 2013, 61:1, pp.25-45.
- "It's More than Poverty: Precarious Employment and Household Wellbeing, Reports of the Poverty and Employment Precarity in Southern Ontario Research Group, 2013. Report available at www.PEPSO.ca
- "The Limits of Voice: Who is afraid of their health and safety rights?" in Osgoode Law Journal, 2013, 50:4, pp.789-812.
- "Racialized and Gendered Disparities in Occupational Exposures among Chinese and White Workers in Toronto" with Stephanie Premji, in Ethnicity and Health, 2013.
- "The Limits and Possibilities of the Structures and Procedures for Health and Safety Regulation in Ontario, Canada", David Walters and Theo Nichols (eds), in Safety or Profit? International Studies in Governance, and the Work Environment, 2013. Baywood Publishing, pp.157-80.
- "Precarious Employment and Occupational Health and Safety in Ontario, in John Peters (ed.), Boom, Bust and Crisis: Labour, Corporate Power and Politics in Canada", Fernwood Publishing, Halifax, 2012, pp.163-77.
- Working Without Commitments: Precarious Employment and Health", with Marlea Clarke and Alice de Wolff, in McGill Queen's University Press, 2011.
- "Precarious Employment and the Internal Responsibility System: Some Canadian Experiences" with Marlea Clarke & Alice de Wolff, in Workplace Health and Safety: International Perspectives on Worker Representation. David Walters (ed) Palgrave Macmillan 2009.
- “Workplace Cohesion and the Fragmentation of Society: The Magna Model in Canada,” with Don Wells, in, Solidarity First: Canadian Workers and Social Cohesion, Robert O’Brien (ed.), Vancouver, UBC Press, 2008: 63-85.
- “Working Without Commitments: Precarious Employment and Health”, with Marlea Clarke, Alice de Wolff, Work, Employment and Society - September 2008, 22: 387-406.
- Precarious Employment and the Internal Responsibility System: Some Canadian Experiences (Work in a Global Society Working Paper Series, 2008-2).
- Competing Without a Net: The Future of the Canadian Automobile Industry, with Bill Pochiluk, report prepared for the Council for Automotive Human Resources, 2008, Toronto: 1-252.
- “Transforming Worker Representation: The Magna Model in Canada and Mexico”, with Don Wells, Labour/Le Travail, 2007, 60: 109-38.
- “This just isn’t sustainable’: Precarious Employment, Stress and Workers’ Health” with Marlea Clarke, Alice de Wolff, Andy King, International Journal of Law and Psychiatry, 2007, 30: 311-326.
- "European Economic Integration and the Labour Compact, 1850-1913" (with Michael Huberman), in, Critical Perspectives on the Global Trading System and the WTO: The WTO and Labor and Employment, Drusilla K. Brown & Robert M. Stern (ed), London, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2007 (Reprint of article published in European Economic History Review, April 2003.)
- "Patterns of Labour Control and the Erosion of Labour Standards in Regimes of Hegemonic Despotism. Towards an International Study of the Quality of Working life in the Automobile Industry (Canada, Japan and the UK)" Paul Stewart, Wayne Lewchuk, Charlotte Yates, Masaki Saruta and Andy Danford, in A indústria automobilística nas Américas: a reconfiguração estratégica e social dos atores produtivos, by Adalberto Cardoso and Alex Covarrubias (eds.), Editora UFMG, Brazil, 2007.
- “Employment Strain, Precarious Employment, and Temporary Employment Agencies,” with Alice deWolff and Andy King, in, Work in Tumultuous Times, Vivian Shalla & Wallace Clement (eds.), Montreal, 2007: 98-130.
- “Precarious employment, health, and the life cycle”, with Marlea Clarke and Alice deWolff, in Employment Conditions and Health Inequalities, Final Report to the WHO Commission on Social Determinants of Health (CSDH), Joan Benach, Carles Muntaner, Vilma Santana (eds.), 2007: 156.
- The New Framework for Service Delivery and its Impact on Working Conditions and Client Services, Report to the Ministry of Community and Social Services, Ministry of Children and Youth, Wayne Lewchuk & Sam Vrankulj, June 2007: 1-115.
- Precarious Work & Health: The Ill Effects of Working Without Secure Employment, Alice de Wolff, Wayne Lewchuk & Marlea Clarke, Our Times, April/May 2007, 26: 26-9.
- "When Corporations Substitute for Adversarial Unions: Labour Markets and Human Resource Management at Magna" with Don Wells, Relations Industrielles/industrial Relations, Vol. 61, No. 4, 2006.
- "The Hidden Costs of Precarious Employment: Health and the Employment Relationship", with Alice deWolff, Andy King and Michael Polanyi in Precarious Work in Canada, Leah Vosko (ed.), McGill Queen's University Press, 2006.
- "Automobile" and "Henry Ford", in History of World Trade since 1450. John McCusker (ed.) Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan Reference, USA, 2005.
- "Beyond Job Strain: Employment Strain and the Health Effects of Precarious Employment" (Work in a Global Society Working Paper Series, 2005-1).
- "Apprenticeship Training in the Automotive Manufacturing Sector", (Report for Council for Automotive Human Resources, 2005), with Sam Vrankulj, pp. 1-24.
- "Running near Empty: Addressing the Skills Shortage in the Canadian Automotive Industry, (Report for the Council for Automotive Human Resources, 2005), with Sam Vrankulj, pp. 1-68 (www.cahr-crha.ca).
- Patterns of Control and the Erosion of Labour Standards: Towards an International Study of the Quality of Working Life in the Automobile Industry (Canada, Japan, and the UK), (with Paul Stewart, Charlotte Yates, Masaki Saruta and Andy Danford), in Work and employment relations in the automobile industry, Elise Charron and Paul Stewart (eds.) (Palgave, Basingstoke, 2004).
- European Economic Integration and the Labour Compact, 1850-1913 (with Michael Huberman), European Economic History Review, April 2003.
- Quality of Working Life in the Automobile Industry: A Canada-UK Comparative Study, (with Charlotte Yates & Paul Stewart), New Technology Work & Employment, vol. 16, 2001, pp.72-87.
- Empowerment as a Trojan Horse: New Systems of Work Organization in the North American Automobile Industry, (with Charlotte Yates & Paul Stewart), Economic & Industrial Democracy, vol. 22, 2001, pp. 517-541.
- From Dust to Dust: Asbestos and the Struggle for Worker Health and Safety at Bendix Automotive, (with Robert Storey), Labour/Le Travail, vol. 45, 2000, pp.103-40.
- The Canadian Automobile Workers and Lean Production: Results of a Worker-Based Benchmarking Study, in Jeremy Waddington (ed.), Globalization and Patterns of Labour Resistance, (Mansell, London, 1999), pp. 56-71.
- Work Reorganization and the Quality of Life in the Canadian Automotive Industry, in Steve Babson & Huberto Nunez eds. Confronting Change: Auto Labor and Lean Production in North America, (Puebla, 1998), pp. 389-404.
- "Production without Empowerment: Work-Reorganization from the Perspective of Motor Vehicle Workers", with David Robertson (Capital and Class, vol. 63, 1997, pp. 37-64.)
- "Working Conditions under Lean Production: A Worker-based Benchmarking Study", with David Robertson, in Paul Stewart, ed., After Japan (Frank Cass, 1996, pp. 60-81).
- "The Effectiveness of Bill 70 and Joint Health and Safety Committees in Reducing Injuries in the Workplace: The Case of Ontario", with A. Leslie Robb & Vivienne Walters, Canadian Public Policy, Vol. XXII, No. 3, 1996, pp. 1-20.
- "Working Conditions under Lean Production: A Worker-based Benchmarking Study", with David Robertson, Asia Pacific Business Review, Summer 1996, pp. 60-81.
- "Judgements of Legitimacy Regarding Occupational Health and Safety", (with Vivienne Walters, Jack Richardson et.al.), Corporate Crime: Contemporary Debates, University of Toronto, 1995, pp. 284-301.
- "Men and Mass Production: The Role of Gender in Managerial Strategies in the British and American Automobile Industries", in K. Wada (ed.), Fordism Transformed: the Development of Production Methods in the Automobile Industry, Oxford University Press, 1995, pp. 219-242.
- "Men and Monotony: Fraternalism at the Ford Motor Company", Journal of Economic History, Vol. 53, No. 4, December 1993, pp. 1-30.
- "Fordist Technology and Britain: The Diffusion of Labour Speed-up", in D.Jeremy (ed.), The Transfer of International Technology: Europe, Japan and the USA in the Twentieth Century, Edward Elgar, 1992, pp. 3-27.
- "Giving and Getting the Wrong Signals: Institutions, Technical Change and the Decline of British Productivity Since 1850", Business and Economic History, Vol. 20, 1991, pp. 77-88.
- "Industrialization and Occupational Mortality in France Prior to 1914", Explorations in Economic History, Vol. 28, 1991, pp. 344-66.
- "Worker Preferences for Co-operatives Versus Private Buy-Outs", with Martin Browning, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Vol. 14, 1990, pp. 262-283.
- Human Centred Benchmarking: Work Reorganization and the Quality of Work Life in the Clothing, Textile, Primary Textile, Box, Paper, Aluminum, Electrical and Electronic Products Sectors, Report submitted to the Manufacturing Research Corporation of Ontario, August 1997), pp. 1-65.