U.Cert.Unifor-McMaster Labour Studies Certificate
Unifor-McMaster Labour Studies courses are designed specifically for Unifor members. Education has an important role in building a knowledgeable membership and workplace leadership. The Unifor-McMaster program is designed on a learning approach that is built upon a commitment to participants that translates into respect for prior experience, skill and activism
The certificate program is an in-depth credit program designed to be completed at your own pace. Classes are held at in your community at various times during the day, evening or weekend, allowing the maximum number of workers to take advantage. Courses are designed by experts in the field to give you knowledge and practical information you need to succeed and understand the working world of today. Courses are set to serve individuals who want to pursue learning and career goals in a flexible setting.
Whether you are looking for career advancement, job change, working towards a degree or interested in learning for self-development and enrichment, we can help.
The partnership between Unifor and McMaster University has allowed us to offer courses designed specifically for you, with your interests in mind. We look forward to continuing this innovative program and developing new courses in the near future. Its continued success will depend critically on your participation this term and in the future. Courses have been scheduled for all locations.
Students in the Unifor-McMaster program are required to complete 36 units to be eligible to graduate. Depending on the course, unit values range from 1 unit to 8 unit courses. Course descriptions and unit value can be found in the calendar. Courses are delivered by a combination of in-class instruction, video conferencing, online modules, and CD-Rom.
- The CAW and the Canadian Labour Movement: A History (4 units)
- Current Challenges to the Labour Movement (4 units)
- Introduction to Workplace Issues (4 units)
- Globalization and Democracy (4 units)
- The Modern Labour Movement (4 units)
- Making Work: Factors Shaping Today’s Workplace (4 units)
- Wal-Mart: Driving a New Brand of Capitalism (4 units)
- Government, Labour Regulation and the Workplace (4 units)
- Solutions to Global Warming (4 units)
- Labour and Media (4 units)
- Labour in Film (4 units)
- Labour in Documentary Film (4 units)
- Film and Ideology (4 units)
- Photo Essay Project: Social Justice through Photographs (4 units)
- Labour History as Told Through Music (4 units)
- Art, Labour Activism and Change (4 units)
- Introduction to Economics course (online) (6 units)
- Introduction to Politics (online) (6 units)